Wednesday, October 31, 2012

NaNoWriMo apprehension

I am not ready for tomorrow. For a number of reasons.

1) Because of not allowing myself to work on the novel project I selected for NaNo, I mentally shifted gears to a second story. I could just run with that story, but I already put the first in motion for the challenge. Time to shift gears again.

2) I have a full-time job. And yes, many, many people who partake in NaNo also have full-time jobs, but I fear that my writing job will sap me of all creativity for the story. Oh, how I miss the days when a story spoke to me and I had no choice but to write down ideas, dialogue, scenes, description, setting, etc.

I asked a coworker (who is also participating) if she was ready, and she wasn't. She has so much to do with Scare House (she's an actress who works/ed at a haunted house), getting her new apartment in order, work, etc. We're hoping that we'll get bursts of inspiration and double the required word count for a single night, just to catch up.

3) I am a copyediting intern for the Pittsburgh Quarterly. I've been involved with its editors since the spring and it's been great. I got to revamp and update its style guide with fellow editors, interns, and the official copy editors, but it was mostly my project. But go figure it decides to send out pages to be proofed for the upcoming winter issue during the few days around Halloween. So, I'm exhausted from work, only to come home and copyedit for hours. Sometimes I can't do it. Luckily, my editor is a very understanding, very kind lady who told me to do the best that I could, as much as I could. I've already caught many mistakes from cursory read-throughs... but the pages aren't nearly as red (yes, I use a red pen) as they normally are.

And so, I'm not ready for tomorrow. I want a few extra days to finish the copyediting. I want a few extra days of reorienting my mind to prepare for the right novel. I want a few extra nights to finish an H.P. Lovecraft novella, put the unfinished book away for next October, and start up Grimm's Fairy Tales (novel research). But nope, NaNo starts tomorrow whether or not I, or anyone else, am ready.

3 comments:

  1. I'm not ready for today either, if it's any consolation. :) We'll see how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosemary! You're my first comment! What's your name on NaNo? Are you registered?

      I've officially decided to cheat. Due to the schedule constraints with copyediting for PQ, I included material I've already written in the story. Initially, I wanted to add to it, and then subtract what was already there in order to get the official word count. But I just don't have time for that. Therefore, I already have 3,962 words written today.

      The good news is that last night, I got ideas as I was lying in bed and reading. So I'll have to keep a notebook beside the bed now. It's a good sign.

      Delete
    2. You never know ... you might end up writing more than 50k and be able to subtract that amount anyway. ;) But the point of NaNo is to get you writing, so I wouldn't worry about it. :) I've "cheated" before too (although ironically not during any years that I won).

      My username is October Rose.

      Delete