Thursday, November 15, 2012

15 Minutes of Internet Fame

Hello all you people who came to my blog because of Neil Gaiman's name on it!

Today has been exciting! I didn't anticipate this at all. I've taken video of Mike asking questions to authors before. He even got John Lithgow to do the salute from 3rd Rock from the Sun. When I posted the adventure video, I thought a few people would see it, mostly friends and family. It was for them that I posted it so they could squee with us.

And yet! Mike somehow managed to (yet again) chat briefly with Neil online (he did before on TurnTable and even asked him what to read of his). He brought the video to Neil's attention. A few minutes later, Neil retweeted the link and suddenly, Mike's and my Twitter handles were popping up in strangers' statuses! I could hit refresh on YouTube stats and watch the viewing numbers rise. And this evening, I discovered that Neil also posted it on Facebook, and my friends and many, many others were sharing and liking his link!

And then I discovered this: Following An Evening of Stardust We'll Never Forget! 
The big take-away from all the great stuff he said last night was probably what he said in response to a question about how to find magic in your life:You don’t find magic or adventure. You go out and you create it.
Admittedly, Mike should have anticipated this response from a fantasy writer. :P

The whole thing is unfathomable... and I hope it's a taste of what's to come. Really, I'm the supporting role in all this. I made Mike read a couple of Neil's novels, bought the tickets, started recording when Mike asked his question, and posted the video online. And somehow, all of this came from it.

So hello Internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment