Sunday, June 2, 2013

Benefits from Unexpected Unemployment

Now that I'm unemployed again, I can...

- Catch up on Weave submissions
- Work on my novels/writing (which is a BIG DEAL but also requires retraining myselt into writing during the day instead of the night)
- Catch up on reading
- Work on reviews faster for Coal Hill Review
- Work on a review revision faster for Weave
- Catch up on woodburning projects
- Exercise more
- Schedule doctor appointments that are only limited by this month, not hours during the day

Paula McLain wrote The Paris Wife between inspiration and desperation, because if the book failed then she'd have to apply for a job at Market District. Here's hoping that I'll find myself in a similar situation and finish at least the first draft of a novel.

I have to admit, though... in order to get unemployment compensation, I'm not looking forward to attending a mandatory course on how to use the UC job search site, how to apply to jobs, how to build a resume, etc. I got out of the last one after 10 minutes when they learned that I was working in an internship and was still in school. I don't have those excuses this year. The literary agent that I tried to have an internship with this summer didn't have slots available, as I mentioned before, and might not until this fall. And I'm not sure telling these people that I'm an editorial assistant/editor and columnist in unpaid positions will work. I guess I have to just suck it up and bear a couple hours of people treating me like I'm an idiot who leeches off the welfare system.

No comments:

Post a Comment