Thursday, August 23, 2012

I dreamed a dream

The other night, I dreamed a dream that was real life. It was mundane, boring, and each second slowly ticked into the next with such consistent regularity that I was not aware I was dreaming. Normally, I am aware.

It was another of those 30-second dreams that I don't remember upon waking. It returns only in flashes, and even then I have to peer at the memory in order to understand. In the dream, I walked to pick up an object from the ground. I stood over it, held out my hand, and concentrated. I do this in real life sometimes. It is an attempt to force The Force to work, an exercise in telekinesis that always fails but still I try again. In the dream, the object rose into my hand.

For a second, I became confused. The dream was real life. I felt time slip past, every small sensation. Events were organized in a linear fashion with no skipping scenes. I remember looking around me, near a school bus, and wondering if this was a dream, when it would begin to feel like a dream, and if I would wake up.

It brought about an interesting thought afterward. If magic exists in the world and we find ways to harness it, how will we know we aren't dreaming? If Jesus Christ is reborn and walks the world, preaching his song of peace, would Christians (or everyone else) believe and welcome him? Or would they deem him to be a raving lunatic and shut him away for the rest of his life, pouring medicine down his throat and electricity into his brain until his divinity is stamped out? How would he prove himself? By performing a miracle--an act of magic that is irrefutable by science.

And even then, would we believe we are dreaming?

I must ponder this and see if I can incorporate it into a story. Granted, something like this has been done. Freakin' Inception. Perhaps a psychological piece--though this topic of what is a dream and what is real, what is real and what is insanity, has probably been exhausted by now.

Most of my fresh ideas come from dreams, but they still have a basis for inspiration because our subconscious takes what we see and registers it through symbols. This process helps to turn short-term memory into long-term memory. That means that even dreams are not really fresh ideas...

No comments:

Post a Comment