Friday, August 31, 2012

The thing about deadlines

We all hate them. At least, that’s how we were trained to view them. They were something that looms over us, as if always threatening, “You better get that project turned in by such-and-such a time, or else!” We suffer debilitating symptoms of stress and fret over our livelihoods because of deadlines.

But then something changes, and somehow we begin to thrive off them.

At least, that’s what a couple of my grad school teachers said about me. And it seems to be true. Most of the time, I am more likely to do the bulk of the work a day or so before it’s due. And that’s not completely caused by procrastination. I will work on copy edits, for example, over the span of a full weekend after receiving the work on a Thursday and still pull an all-nighter in order to turn in everything by Monday morning. If I had chapters due for a class or workshop, they would be written a day before the deadline.

It’s not as if I like doing this, either. I would love to pace myself and work on little bits at a time. But there’s just something about deadlines that forces me to work. Some imperative compulsion that keeps me rooted to the computer and better able to reject distractions. The way it feels earlier in the week, the project is not yet important enough to deny other things in my life, or I feel as if there’s still more time to work on it. And then as the day draws closer, I realize that there is no time left and then try not to panic.

Sometimes I wonder if I work well with deadlines because of my journalism experience. We’re given an assignment that is due that afternoon, the next day, or at the end of the week. We’re forced to get used to deadlines and actually work off them. It almost creates a co-dependency with an abstract concept. When we’re given a project that isn’t due until the end of the month, we look around as if we’re lost and wonder what we’re going to do with our time between now and then. It becomes as if we can only do work if we’re under a deadline. Is that why I thrive under them? Is that why I can’t seem to break the habit of doing most of the work the day before something is due?

Is that why I haven’t been writing in my stories—because I don’t have any more deadlines? Or someone to hold me accountable for my work?

No comments:

Post a Comment